Hollywood's Hottest Fashionista lets you know her inner most thoughts without holding back. Step into her colorful closet and get to know her inner thoughts on the things she loves the most: Fashion, Fitness, and Men!

Monday, December 7, 2009

Q&A about FASHION STYLING


I was recently approached by high school student, Elizabeth Perez about participating in a small interview for a project she was working on. She was asked by her HS instructor to select a person in a field that she is interested. She selected me, which I am very flattered to have been chosen.

Here are the questions, . . .

1. Have you always had the passion for this type of career? I have loved fashion since I was a child. I use to make Barbie’s clothes and I use to sit by the tv and watch the award show red carpet and sketch dresses. So I’d say, yes, the fashion bug bit me as a young child.
2. Why did you pursue this career? I pursued this career by going to college and obtaining a Fashion Design degree and also by working retail A LOT! I wanted to make sure I knew about clothes, how they fit people, and how they made people feel.
3. Why is this career interesting to you? Being a fashion stylist is interesting to me because there is never a dull moment and the client you are dressing changes from day to day. I enjoy spontaneity and thinking on my feet. Creativity is the spice of life!
4. What do you like the most about your job? I love the clothes, . . .you really wouldn’t get into this career if you didn’t. I love couture, ready-to-wear, basics, lingerie-- you name it! I am virtually obsessed.
5. Do you think that your career life style is what you thought it would of been? Yes, and no. At first, I think the biggest misconception with my career lifestyle is that you instantly become wealthy. Styling is a skilled trade where you have to apprentice or intern, so prepare to eat a lot of PB & J and Ramen noodles. But just like everything that is worth it in life, if you can stick it out, you will definitely reap the benefits of having a solid paycheck and waking up every morning excited! There is no money in the world that can buy that happiness!
6. What are some of the specific things you need to know to go into this career? Specific skills that you need to know before pursuing a career in fashion styling is the body, how clothing drapes on it, what fits works on which body type, what colors accentuate certain skin and hair colors, how to NETWORK (this one would be the one I would say is most important, to be successful, you have to be able to be creative, business-minded, and a people person.
7. How many hours a week/weekends too do you work? Too many, ha. Just kidding, I love my career and wouldn’t trade it for the world. But you do work weekdays and weekends, there is always an event to go to in Hollywood, NY, Vegas, etc. Jokingly, I get referred to as the Fashion Doctor because I am on-call 24-7.
8. Do you have enough time for you and your family or is this a 24/7 job? This is very close to a 24/7 job, but the beauty of being freelance is that you make your own schedule, so if you are great at time management you can juggle family and friends and work!
9. How do you deal with stress, if any. 
Every job has their stressful peaks, award season is a stressful time of year for all stylists. For me, in the morning before my conference calls to NY or client appointments, I make sure I make time to workout. Keeping a healthy balance of work and you is crucial to maintaining a level of happiness.
10. If you could give me career advice that you thought could really help me, what would it be?

Work! Get a job working retail at a major department store. Work as a retail associate and learn about customers. Build relationships with people by creating confidence in clothing. Know fabrics, fits, and silhouettes of bodies. Read. Pick up fashion magazines and read. Know your designers. Learn why a Marc Jacobs dress could never be mistaken for a Versace or a DVF (Diane Von Furstenberg). Then apprentice/intern with a known fashion stylist to see if you can really handle the long hours and the long days on shoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment